Chayton and Jackson

Chayton and Jackson

Monday, June 11, 2012

: Farmer Williams :

Well, after much watering, fertilizing, worrying and crying... i have a GARDEN that is growing and producing. WOO HOO!! I really never thought it was possible that i would be able to eat things that i have grown in my backyard. When i had the thought of wanting to build a raised bed garden, i honestly never really thought that it may actually work. I had absolutely no clue what i was doing but that sure did not deter me from wanting to plant different fruits and vegetables. Everything that i read did say... "don't plant a big garden your first time or it will overwhelm you." I tried to remember that when i was figuring out what i wanted to plant. However, that thought escaped me every time i looked at plants. I planted 12 different things and it has been tolerable. There are a few things that i would change next year though. I planted onions (and maybe once i eat one of them, i will change my mind) and they took up space that i could have used and the bulb you plant only produces 1 onion and then it is done. I planted about 15 and they will all pretty much be ready at the same time. I will also probably not plant strawberries again because birds are eating every one of them!! The only way i will do these again are if i can make a contraption to go over them where the birds cannot get to them. I planted butter crunch lettuce and i may try lettuce again but will probably see if i can find leafy green lettuce. And i am still contemplating the broccoli. That is the only thing that has not produced anything so far but it took forever for the actual plant to get bigger. I am hoping any day now there will be broccoli. There are so many other things that i would love to try so i may have space if i eliminate a few from this year! I have learned this will be a trial and error project. But i can deal with that. Here are a few close up pictures...
 I have 7 Roma tomato plants, 7 Big boy tomato plants, about 15 onions and 4 cucumber plants.
 Here, i have 8 regular Bell pepper plants, 4 red Bell pepper plants, 2 Cayenne pepper plants, 2 Banana pepper plants, 8 Broccoli plants, 4 Butter crunch lettuce plants, and 4 Mammoth jalapeno plants.
And i also have 2 regular Jalapeno plants, a pot of Strawberries and 1 Roma tomato plant.
In addition to all of these plants, i also have 2 Cherry tomato plants (not pictured).

4 comments:

  1. Good job! We have a garden as well and it has been fun but you are right it is trial and error. We tried strawberries too last year and they didn't work out either because of the birds.
    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! We have gotten a few picked that the birds didnt get but they are small because if you dont pick them quick, they are gone!

    ReplyDelete