Chayton and Jackson

Chayton and Jackson

Monday, January 28, 2013

To Paleo or Not to Paleo . . .


That has been the question? I have been trying to decide if i wanted to eat a Paleo type diet (aka Caveman diet). This diet focuses on eating things that our ancestors ate back in the day before agriculture came along. It basically excludes grains, legumes, starches, diary, sugar, alcohol and refined salt. That does sound like a LOT of things that you cannot have but there are good things that you can have. Some things that i have read say that you can have sweet potatoes in moderation. I have decided that i am going to try my best to follow this way of eating as close as i can because a friend of mine says that once you have been eating this way for a little while, when you do indulge in a cheat meal, you feel like crap! I have joined E Meals as well. This is a company that allows you to choose the eating plan that you are following and they send you weekly meal plans, along with the recipes and shopping lists! This was perfect for me because i do try to plan my meals weekly and this takes the guesswork out of planning. I am sure there will be recipes that we do not like for dinner but we are going to try everything at least once and will mark things off accordingly. I am doing this plan for all of my meals and the boys are going to follow this plan for dinner at first and then see where we can take it from there. I am trying to get my kids off of a sugar kick!!! They would literally eat cookies, candy, cupcakes, candy bars, etc (you get the picture) EVERY meal if they could. I truly believe that this is the reason for some of the crankiness, irritability and tossing at night while they are trying to sleep. I know that sugar is REALLY bad for everyone and has been linked to cancer in many different situations. And i do not want to be the one responsible for any of this! So, i am trying my best to change things for the better in my house. It is going to be hard but i think it will be better for everyone.
Today is Day 1 of my Paleo diet and it has gone well so far. Here is what my meals have looked like:
Breakfast: Green Smoothie (spinach, banana, strawberries), small serving of grilled chicken strips with 2   cherry tomatoes.
Lunch: Salad with leafy green lettuce, broccoli slaw, broccoli sprouts, 3 cherry tomatoes, sirloin steak (about 4oz), juice from 1/2 lime and sriracha sauce on top. YUMMY!!
Dinner: Southwestern chicken w/avacado salad. (and i cannot wait to eat this!! Love everything about it)
I have taken my vitamins like i was supposed to and have been drinking my lemon water. Hopefully things will continue to go good. I have got to get the rest of this weight off!! I will be doing some type of exercise later as well!
Here is a little info on Paleo if you are interested:
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/
http://paleoaholic.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment